Need help with a non-urgent medical or admin request?

Are you ready for Christmas and New Year?

There are simple things that we can all do to stay Well Together during the holidays. Visit Cambridge & Peterborough ICS’s dedicated Well Together page to find out more.

The NHS will be here throughout the festive period for people who need medical help.

If you have a medical problem and you’re not sure what to do, please contact NHS 111 first. You can contact 111 online at or you can call 111 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Your symptoms will be assessed by trained medical advisors, and you will be directed to the right service for your illness or injury

If you have an urgent, life-threatening medical issue, please remember to call 999 right away. If you feel you are in a mental health crisis, urgent support is available in our area 24/7 through 111. Simply dial 111 and select the mental health option. You will be put through to a trained advisor who will speak to you and discuss your current mental health needs.

Having a well stocked medicine cabinet at home can help you treat the following minor illnesses and injuries at home, helping you to feel better sooner.  

  • Colds & Flu 
  • Indigestion  
  • Cuts & grazes 
  • Stomach ache 
  • Headaches 

Visit for more self care tips 

Don’t wait until you’re unwell – stock up your medicine cabinet for winter with these essentials: 

  • painkillers 
  • indigestion or heartburn treatment 
  • upset stomach treatment 
  • rehydration treatment 
  • first aid kit 

Visit for self care tips 

Your local pharmacist can provide confidential, expert advice and treatment for: 

  • Skin conditions 
  • Minor illnesses 
  • Upset Stomach 
  • Coughs, colds & flu 
  • Aches & pains 

Visit to find out how your local pharmacist can help you.

Your local Minor Injury Unit (MIU) and Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) can help you with: 

  • Wounds and cuts 
  • Bites 
  • Strains, sprains & fractures  
  • Minor burns and scalds 
  • Eye problems 

No appointment needed.  Find local services near you at 

Opening hours are as follows:

Ely Minor Injury Unit, Princess of Wales Hospital, Lynn Road, Ely, CB6 1DN

Open 7 days a week including Bank Holidays (Boxing Day and New Year’s Day) – 08:30-18:00. Closed Christmas Day

Wisbech Minor Injury Unit, North Cambs Hospital, Wisbech, PE13 3AB

Open Monday – Friday – 08:00-18:00. Closed all weekends and Bank Holidays which includes Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day

Doddington Minor Injury Unit, Doddington hospital, Benwick Road, PE15 0UG

Open Monday – Friday 08:30-18:00, Sat/ Sun and Bank Holidays – 09:00-17:00.  Boxing Day and New Year’s Day is 09:00-17:00. Closed Christmas Day.

Peterborough Urgent Treatment Centre, Peterborough City Hospital, Edith Cavell Campus, Bretton Gate, Peterborough PE3 9GZ

Open 8am-8pm seven days a week, including Bank Holidays.

You can access online or call 111 via phone 24/7, every day of the year. 

111 will access your symptoms and advise you on the right service and support for your needs. 

  • Urgent medical advice 
  • Help with an existing medical condition  
  • Medicines information 
  • Mental health 
  • Emergency prescriptions  

Visit or call 111 free of charge.

Don’t run out your prescribed medicines over the festive period.   

  • check you have enough medication  
  • order more if needed 
  • make sure dependents, such as children, have enough of their medicines too 

If you forget to obtain a prescription for repeat medication and thus run out of important medicines, you may be able to get help from your Pharmacy. Under the Urgent Provision of Repeat Medication Service, Pharmacists may be able to supply you with a further cycle of a previously repeated medicine, without having to get a prescription from your GP. 

If you have run out of important medication, telephone your usual Pharmacy to check that they offer this service; if they don’t, they may either direct you to another Pharmacy who does provide it, or ask you to phone 111 where you can request details of a local Pharmacy that provides the service.

You must then take with you to the relevant Pharmacy, proof of both your identification and of your medication (for example, your repeat prescription list or the empty box which should have your details printed on it). Please note that controlled drugs and antibiotics are not provided through this service, you will need to ring 111 for these.

If you receive stoma products from your Pharmacy or other supplier and/or receive items such as continence products, please ensure you have sufficient supplies as you may encounter difficulties in obtaining these over Bank Holidays, or when the Surgery is closed.

Further information about Out-of-hours medicines

There will be some pharmacies in and around the local area that will be open on Christmas Day:

Need urgent medical help? Don’t think A&E is your only option this winter: 

  • Pharmacies can help with over the counter medication, medicines advice and more 
  • GP practices have a range of staff who can help you get the right care at the right time 
  • NHS 111 online can help if you’re not sure what to do or if your GP or dentist is closed – open 24/7 
  • Urgent Treatment Centre or Minor Injury Unit – in Ely, Wisbech, Peterborough and Doddington can help with minor illnesses and injuries as well as xrays 

Find out more information on local services

A&E is for life and limb threatening emergencies.   

If you come to A&E with a problem that isn’t an emergency, you will face a much longer wait or be redirected to another service.   

Don’t risk a wasted trip – visit to find the right service for your needs. 

The NHS is here for you over the holidays.  

  • Use NHS 111 online, available 24/7 
  • Some minor injury units or urgent treatment centres are open 
  • Some pharmacies are open and running normally 

Visit for more info.

Support with Mental Health

With the festive season fast approaching, it can be a happy time and a great way to connect with loved ones. But for some, this can be all a bit overwhelming with relationships tested, finances stretched, and feelings of loneliness heightened. It is important to know you are not alone and that there are a wide range of services available to help and support you across Cambridgeshire & Peterborough. These include online support and information services, helplines, and specialist help including crisis mental health support if needed.

  • Crisis support – NHS 111 and select the mental health option – If you feel you are in a mental health crisis, urgent support is available in our area 24/7 through 111. Simply dial 111 and select the mental health option. You will be put through to a trained advisor who will speak to you and discuss your current mental health needs.
  • Keep Your Head website provides information on mental health and wellbeing support and local services available for young people and adults across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. 
  • HEAR 85258 – a mental health free text messaging support service – texting the word HEAR to 85258 to be connected to a trained volunteer who will offer them calm in a time or place of crisis.  
  • Lifeline – – Free, confidential helpline that you can call anonymously to talk to a trained volunteer. Lifeline is available daily 11am-11pm 365 days a year and can be reached by calling 0808 808 2121.
  • Qwell and Kooth – Free online wellbeing services offering chat-based counselling, peer support and self-help. – for ages 18+ – for ages 11-25
  • Age UK – A free and confidential advice line for older people and their families – 0800 678 1602 This helpline is open 8am-7pm 365 days a year and can help with practical advice and support. More useful help and advice can be found on their website –
  • How Are You (H.A.Y.) is a local website that brings together information on activities and support available in your local community to help boost mental health and wellbeing.
  • Bereavement support services in Cambridgeshire – support, advice and information for those who have lost a loved one.
  • Relate  –  – relationship support services in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
  • National Gambling Service  – GamCare helpline available on 0808 8020 122